Position Title: Program/Project Accountant
Reports To: Accounting Manager/Comptroller
FLSA Status: Non -Exempt
Purpose: The Program /Project Accountant is responsible for effectively communicating with Program Managers (PM) and Principals-in-Charge (PIC), regarding contract documents, change orders and other contract modifications, approvals, and additional services-related to billing and performing tasks.
- Prepare final invoice package containing draft and final invoices for all billable projects.
- Assess and pursue opportunities for maximization of client billing.
- Research unbilled issues to optimize billing possibilities and increase receivables
- Maintain billing folders for all programs, with all the appropriate documents, including expenses, consultant invoices, and monthly invoices, in accordance with standard procedures.
- Partner with cash receipts team members to reconcile variances.
- Generate and distribute bi-monthly receivables reports and monthly profitability reports.
- Write off any uncollectible receivables, labor or expenses as directed.
- Prepare balance sheet account reconcilements, as directed by the Accounting Manager.
- Recommend and implement agreed process improvements to the billing cycle.
- Prepare special project analyses for the PICs, PMs and others.
- Prepare tax return work papers for property owners for YE review by accounting firm.
- Provide year-end support of auditor requirements, which may include research and reconcilement.
- Perform additional assignments, as directed by the Accounting Manager.
- Communicate and coordinate with off-site offices.
- Prepare all applicable fiscal reports for sponsored programs and ensure the timely submission thereof.
- Attend professional development training and stay abreast of the Office of Management and Budget Circulars and their applicability to grants management related to A-133 audit.
- Assist in closing the company/grant fiscal year end books as needed.
- Conduct monthly analysis of P&L accounts.
- Provide training & workshops to all grant stakeholders on how to more efficiently and effectively manage their respective grants/programs in following board policy, granting agency guidelines, and all applicable federal regulations related to special programs.
- Partner with grants department and outside funders on budgets.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- The idea candidate must have demonstrated analytical and organizational skills.
- Intermediate to advanced skills in Excel and Word as well as accounting software.
- Strong aptitude for numbers and accuracy.
- A thorough knowledge of standard contract terms, including hourly and lump sums, not-to-exceed and how they are applied in the billing process.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work independently, take initiative, set priorities and projects through to completion.
- Employ problem-solving skills and analysis, report problems to the Accounting Manager, as necessary.
- Ability to work well with others under deadline situations and respond to changes in priorities.
- Ability to effectively communicate with others.
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A) preferred, 2+ years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of an organization.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- In order to successfully perform the essential responsibilities of the job, one must possess the following computer and program skills: Microsoft Word and Excel, e-mail, and Internet.
If interested, please fill out the application form on our Careers page.